MoH:A

OK I have been a little busy playing the Demo. Also posting on various forums, instead of writing up some complete post here I thought I would just copy them here. So if this post doesn't scan it's because these comments are cut n' paste from things I have written else where...

A couple of days ago EA released the demo of Medal of Honor Airborne. You are going to need a Windows PC to have a go. Also that PC is going to be of a good spec to get the most out of this next gen game. The downloads are freely available on the net, it is big at 1.7Gb but well worth your time.

Download location here

As "First Person Shooters" go this is awesome (as an Englishman not a word I use lightly). Unlike MoH's of old it is not at all liner in game play. You get a large map that you have free movement, you can do as you wish. Play the game your way! The map isn't huge as you would get in "Sand box" type like Battlefield, but it's not at all confining. Most of the rooftops are playable, a lot of the building have interior's that can also be played.

The AI is very good, it feels like you are playing with and against bots. Rather than static oponentes, they will counter attack, move in support of each other.
The demo can be played over and over and you will have a different game each time as you change your tack ticks. A bit like playing the single player version of Battlefield:2


The game, like most of the MoH family works hard to be both entertaining and historically accurate.

There is a very big online community out there waiting for this game. You can expect to see this one becoming a firm favorite amongst the WWII FPS crowd.

---------------------------------

Several of the guys in our clan are talking about upgrading. Truth be know most were thinking about this because we have known that there are several games coming in the next few months that will stretch our machines.

We have been playing BF:2 for the last couple of years. That's a game that required some kit to run with all of the eye candy. My PC runs BF:2 with all of the settings maxed at the native screen rez of my 17' LCD screen.

I have only had a brief look at the demo. I have yet to start messing with the settings to make it look better. The thing is for MP you don't always want to have the settings maxed out. I know that with BF:2 you gain a tactical advantage by turning things down like the shadows and stuff.

Will you really want motion blur when you are trying to frag the other guy?!? Some of the post processing makes for a more immersive single player game but just get in the way when playing MP. It is always nice to know that your hardware can handle the eye candy but fancy effects are great until they get you fragged!

---------------------------------

I have just been messing around with stuff and using Fraps to show me whats what.

With everything turned up to the max I'm getting max of 40 fps min of 27 except for the jump where it drops right down to 18.

Strange how with the settings default for my system and everything maxed there is hardly any difference to the frame rate, odd...

Atomic, a guy in our clan has a much much better setup than me, duel core and SLI 8800 cards Vista, you get the picture. Anyhow he is getting 50-60 most of the time but he reported the same issue when jumping from the plane, 16 to 20 fps again odd.

Oh well I still think that this is the best demo I have played. The infinitely variable game play means you can play it over and over. If this is a true demonstration of what the full single player then it deserves to be one of the greats. All we have to do is hope that the MP game will be equally as good. Now all we need is some help from EA to make sure that running a dedibox is as easy as possible. (I really don't want to have to upload over 7 Gb to my server using my home PC, bu that's for another thread...)

Popular Posts