Job Recruiters Avoiding WoW Players

Apparently some job recruiters are allegedly being told to avoid recommending players of Blizzard's ultra-successful MMO World of Warcraft. After meeting with one such recruiter, f13.net posted his experience:
I met with a recruiter recently (online media industry) and in conversation I happened to mention I'd spent way too much time in the early 2000s playing online games, which I described as 'the ones before World of Warcraft' (I went nuts for EQ1, SWG and the start of WoW, but since 2006 I have only put a handful of days into MMOG playing - as opposed to discussing them - I've obsessed over bicycles and cycling instead). He replied that employers specifically instruct him not to send them World of Warcraft players. He said there is a belief that WoW players cannot give 100% because their focus is elsewhere, their sleeping patterns are often not great, etc. I mentioned that some people have written about MMOG leadership experience as a career positive or a way to learn project management skills, and he shook his head. He has been specifically asked to avoid WoW players.
The recruiter in question was apparently working within the "online media industry," though no details were mentioned as to which employers he works with. Well, If people are stupid enough to put WoW experience on their resume, then they don't deserve a job :-)

Popular Posts