Upgrade? to Vista...

Vista, it will have to happen to most of us at some point. I was one of the Beta testers for Vista and wasn't too impressed. Before it came out I laid down "my" conditions for moving to Vista.

1/ You get a new computer and it comes with it.
2/ You want to play a game that will only run on Vista or where Vista gamer have an advantage over the XP gamers. No one wants to get fraged, to have it happen cos the other guy runs a different OS is a pisser...
3/ You have the DX10 hardware and want to see what all of the fuss is about.

I would never fall in to option 1/ because I never buy a computer new, I build them. Number 2 hasn't happened yet, rumor has it that it will be BF:3 that kills XP for a lot of gamers.

Now number three has always been the one that I'm most likely to fall for. I'm a geek! I love new stuff, I have always moved up to the latest version of Windows just as soon as I can. Often before it became available to the main stream. Vista is the first OS from Microsoft I haven't used since MSDOS 5!

So with SP1 now making Vista a possibility rather than a liability. Maybe it's time to think about Vista. Thing it is still very expensive there are a couple of of ways of keeping the costs down. First off there are people out there that will sell you an OEM copy, (the cheapest)

There is another way! Upgrade without upgrading. Normally upgrading Windows is a real no no. It's never as good as a clean install. There has always been a way of getting around it in the past. You clean install with your upgrade disk, it stops and asks you for a "qualifying disk" in other words the new OS wants to see the install disk from your old one, to prove you are upgrading.

Vista has always contained a loop hole It will qualify it's self! You don't need a legit copy of XP. It would appear that MS hasn't killed off this issue with SP1 so if you don't have a legit copy of XP and want to make the move to Vista then have a look at the upgrade version, just don't upgrade!!!


PS I'm writing this on my ubuntu laptop, LOL I said that I'm a Geek :P

Popular Posts