News: Linux Client for ET:QW

A Status Update on the Linux Versions of ETQW

I'm Timothee Besset, the Programmer at id Software in charge of the Linux versions of Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars as part of the ongoing support for the game.

There's been a ton of interest from the Linux Community, so I wanted to give you all a status update on development.

On the server front, we've now released stable server builds for the demo and the retail release. There are over 1,300 servers running the Linux version already (more than Windows in fact) so as a Linux proponent myself, I'm really pleased with its popularity.

I've also been making steady progress with the Linux Client, and it's coming along really well. We've been running a closed-beta test for 'friends and family' for a little while, and for the past couple of weeks have had a fully functional version of the demo running. The closed-beta testers are now able to play alongside Windows players on the same version, with full Punkbuster support. The major systems including the renderer and audio are working great, and performance has been good on both the NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards.

Alongside my other responsibilities at id, my focus now is on optimization for the Linux Client. If everything goes to plan, we should have the Linux Client ready for release in just a few weeks.

Popular Posts