Overclocking my PC

OK I have had my 2011 PC together for all of a week and all is well but I've not really tackeled overclocking till tonight.
All CPU's have a max Voltage they can take before you damage it. With my 3930K it's 1.6V as an absolute max before it goes fizz. (an expensive prospect at £450 a pop!)
What I have discovered is my system doesn't like high voltage. Regular voltage for the CPU maxes out at 1.3V underload. Well she will not take more than 1.45 at any MHz. 1.40v and she will hold 4.6GHz just fine but she is running a little warm at 82C. I did get her to boot to windows at 4.7GHz and post at 4.8GHz but unless you can run Prim95 I'm not interested. Right now as I type this prime95 is running and has been for an hour! 4.5GHz @ 1.35v temp of 76 with an ambient of 22. Well that not too shabby, I can live with that.
Cinebench R11.5
CPU = 12.88
GPU = 100.10
Heaven benchmark 3.0v
Open run

Heaven benchmark 3.0v
Open run + tessellation to "Normal"

Real world running BF:3 every time I look at the fps (FRAPS) she is somewhere around 120, that's in ultra. ArmA running Dayz has seen a doubling of the frame rate, but that game has always been CPU choked.
All in all I'm a happy bunny lets see is prime95 is still running in the morning...

Popular Posts