Google+

A lot of people go on about Privacy and the web, social networking sites in particular. I work on the principle that I type nothing on the net I wouldn't mind anyone seeing on a billboard outside my house. I sort of imagine my mum sat in the room, it I can't happily explain it to her then I shouldn't be saying it. 

I'll put nothing on the net that isn't already in the public domain. My address can easily be found in the electoral roll, so that's public. My phone number is ex-directory so I never put that on the net. No one knows my mobile but the people I tell in person so that never gets typed in the any forms online. but my date of birth, well that's publicly held information so I have no issue with that being online. 

If the company's that provide the services I use want to sell targeted advertising I guess I don't have an issue with that. I like to feel I'm quite resistant to advertising as it is. I think I should be able to resist targeted advertising just as well, and if not at least the advertising was useful. 

I do like social networking as a general thing. It's nice to know what my friends are up to and it's nice to chat with family and friends when we are often separated by long distances and strange time zones. The trick is not to collect people like it's an achievement. You don't need 500 facebook friends! 

I treat Twitter like my blog, the more the better. Facebook is restricted to close friends and family. With Google+ as you can separate people into different circles I hope to be able to have more people because it's easer to manage the groups. I have many hobbies and interests, some don't overlap too well. My Linux friends can get quite upset when I go on about Windows and games. My family are not interested in overclocking and PC modding. My Overclocking buddys don't want to see pictures of my rabbit but my sister would. 

Google have looked at what is out there and examined it's resent fail with Buzz. They have built a social network that meets the needs of a more informed group of users. Within a few years Facebook may just be a portal to Zynga's flash games...

Popular Posts