Routers and QoS

Internet connection... it's a bugger sometimes.

In my house there are three computers, each computers will be doing different things. Not only from each other but with in each one.

Everything compete for available bandwidth, but it's not just about the size of the pipe. It's often about congestion, the different things are competing. They compete with each other so hard the system clogs completely.

We all know that if your gaming you don't want anyone else in the house to start anything or your ping will suffer.

Well my connection has been suffering. It's was time to do something about it. I bought a new router, the top thing on my list was a little and often over looked acronym.

QoS, it stands for Quality of Service.

My new router can control priority of packets of information. Each application gets the bandwidth it needs without being swarmed by other greedy applications. Torrent is a greedy app, so greedy you couldn't even surf the web, so greedy it would make my modem drop connection. In the past I had turned it down to a trickle. Very little bandwidth but still congestion.

Now torrents are working at full speed without killing the modem. You can surf the web, stream video and audio. I have not tried playing a game at the same time but it should be doable.

It's like the gatekeeper has some traffic lights.


If your router is new'ish or old but expensive it may already have this QoS feature. Or if you too are suffering from congestion and net issues it might be time to investigate a router with QoS.

My new router > Link

Popular Posts