What makes Ubuntu 11.10 so great?


I have been running Ubuntu for many years. From time to time someone will announce that Linux is "ready" for the desktop, a serous contender, worthy of your attention. Well the old cynic in my is starting to be convinced. I have been along for the ride since the mid-late 90's. It was a curiosity back then, just a thing you looked at on a test machine but did not consider to be "ready" for my own own use let alone the mass market. Well this is getting damn close to being as polished as the best there is. I think the next release will be the one. I'm not talking about 11.10 the one in this video but the next, 12.04. That will be the LTS version where the polish will be of the highest standard. Unity is proving to be a highly productive and pleasant place to work, to get things done. As a user of Ubuntu I'm no longer looking at the OS from the hobbist's point of view, but simply getting things done. Before with Linux the OS was half the fun, figuring it out, getting it to do things. Now I 'just use it' and I do use it as my primary OS. It would have taken a real diehard to use Linux as day to day back when I first started looking at Linux, now it's a good choice, a sensible choice for regular 'normal' users.

Popular Posts